Social Care/ Reablement

How to Get Help for Adults and Older People

Support after illness or injury

The Early Intervention Service is about helping people regain the ability to look after themselves following illness or injury (reablement).

Keeping your independence and helping you live at home is very important to us and we have trained therapists and assessors who can support you to improve your abilities and do as much as you can for yourself.

Find out more here.

Leaving hospital

If you have been admitted to a ward and you, the staff, or anyone who supports you at home feels that you may have difficulty managing at home without some help, ward staff can ask an assessor based at the hospital to assess your needs before you are discharged.

If you have been discharged from hospital following an illness or operation, you might need practical help with getting in and out of bed, washing and dressing.

If it’s appropriate, we may arrange services to support you when you return home (called transitional care), this may be reablement or a temporary care package and will depend upon your needs and eligibility.

Find out more here.

Help for living at home

Staying independent is a good way to keep your health and wellbeing on track and we want to make sure that you can continue to lead an active and fulfilling lifestyle, while remaining safe and secure in your own home, whatever your care needs are.

Community Book is our online directory with organisations offering free and paid for local services to help you continue living at home, including:

There are many other services to aid independence available from Wigan Borough Council including:

  • Wigan Council supported living – providing housing support to help people live as independently as possible.
  • Shared Lives – supporting people to develop meaningful friendships that enable them to live life to the full in their local communities. It can help them achieve goals such as going to college, develop travel skills, visit places outside Wigan and go on holiday.
  • Starting Point Plus – Starting Point Plus; is a free service to advise and support people aged 50 and over (or under 50 with a disability) and their carers. To enable you to maintain your independence and make your own decisions.
  • Age UK Wigan Borough – Offer handy person services, home help, activities and groups, friendship services, advice on benefits and more.

You can search their website selecting the ‘Services in your home’ category and adding your postcode.

Care Quality Commission (CQC)-  A directory of organisations who can provide help in your home (also known as ‘domiciliary care’). They also inspect these organisations so you can view any reports on recent inspections.

Social Care Assessment

If you need adult social care help because of serious illness, physical disability, learning disability, mental health problems, frailty because of old age or even if you are just having difficulty with aspects of your daily life, you should have a social care assessment of your needs completed.

A social care assessment is a free service involves a social care professional discussing your needs either in your home or somewhere more suitable. Find out more here.

Support for carers

Carers are people who look after relatives or friends who, because of an illness or disability, can’t manage at home without help. Caring can be very rewarding, but it also makes demands on your time, your health and your emotions, and can be very tiring. So, taking an occasional break from caring is essential – it gives you the chance to recharge your batteries.

Useful contacts

For further information and/or to arrange a carers assessment for yourself:

Find out more here.

Support for dementia

Find out where to go in the borough for Community dementia support, news, places to go, activities and resources of information.

Find information on residential care and housing for older people within Wigan Borough on the council’s main website here.

Skip to content